Extra Care - frequently asked questions

What is an Extra Care court?

Housing & Care 21 Extra Care schemes are called 'courts' and are made up of one and two bedroom apartments or bungalows, or a mix of both. Properties are self-contained and residents are able to access communal facilities. Care and support are provided on site.

How is Extra Care housing different from a care home?

Extra Care housing is designed to help you live independently for as long as possible, with access to flexible on-site care and support services that can be tailored to meet your needs

In Extra Care housing, you have your own private home, with your own front door, kitchen and bathroom. You have control over your finances and can choose how you interact with your neighbours and the local extra care community, for example taking part in group and social activities.

I don't have a care need right now, can I still live in Extra Care housing?

Yes, depending on your circumstances.

To rent an Extra Care property, you will usually need to be registered on your local authority’s housing list, or have a care and support need. If you are interested in renting a Housing & Care 21 Extra Care property you can contact your preferred court directly for more information - call 0370 192 4000, or use our property search.

To buy one of our shared ownership Extra Care properties you must be aged over 55. You don't have to have a current care need, but our extra care housing ensures that any current and future needs are met with tailored, person-centric care and support.

If you are interested in buying a property on one of our Extra Care courts, call our sales team on 0345 608 4021 

What facilities and services are available in your courts?

Our Extra Care courts feature a range of communal facilities, such as:

  • lounges
  • restaurants
  • hair salons
  • laundry rooms
  • buggy stores
  • assisted bathing suites
  • gardens

Some of our courts have on-site day centres, and rooms for health services to use. Some courts also have shops selling basic groceries. People from the local community are able to visit our courts to use the facilities.

It's important that you check the facilities at any scheme you are interested in, to make sure they are right for your needs.

My spouse is ill and we get a lot of help from friends and family, but I don't need care. Can we move to a Housing & Care 21 Extra Care court together?

Yes. A couple with different care needs can move into one of our Extra Care properties, and still, enjoy the privacy and security of having their own home together. Friends and family can still provide help and support, with the added benefit of professional care services on-site to provide care which meets their individual needs.

The additional support from new friends and community at the court can be a great benefit as well!

My relative has early signs of dementia, can they move into Extra Care housing?

Yes, depending on their individual needs and requirements. Our Extra Care courts are able to provide help and support to people with Alzheimer’s disease, to enable them to live well with dementia and remain independent for as long as possible. Some courts have areas designated for people living with dementia, and others mix residents with different needs across the whole scheme.


Can I bring my cat or dog? I don’t want to move without them!

We understand that pets are part of the family, so the majority of our Extra Care courts are pet-friendly.

What will I pay for in Extra Care?

If you rent an Extra Care property from us, you will pay rent and a service charge for the upkeep of the building and grounds. If you receive care and support you will also pay care charges, which are set in accordance with local authority policy.

You'll be responsible for paying your individual utility bills, contents insurance, phone bills, including connection charges, and meal bills. All charges and responsibilities will be discussed fully during the application process.

All Housing & Care 21 rents are set within housing benefit levels.

If you buy your property under shared ownership, you may pay a rental charge on the unpurchased share. You'll also pay a service charge and be responsible for individual utility bills, contents insurance, phone bills, including connection charges, and meal bills. If you receive care and support you will also pay care charges, which are set in accordance with local authority policy. 

You may be eligible for financial support, and our dedicated Financial Wellbeing Team can guide you through the benefits system to ensure that you receive the support that you are entitled to.