Association of Retirement Community Operators (ARCO)
Housing & Care 21 is a founding member of the Association of Retirement Community Operators (ARCO).
Founded in 2012, ARCO represents retirement community providers in the UK. It was formed to raise awareness of the retirement community model, which we believe can provide a credible solution to the challenge of how we meet the lifestyle, health and social care needs of our ageing population.
ARCO aims to:
- promote confidence in the sector by ensuring that all members are providing a high quality service to their residents
- raise awareness of the retirement community model amongst older people and policy makers
- increase expertise within the sector by continually investing in research to better understand the value of the housing with care model
What is the retirement community model?
Retirement communities offer self-contained accommodation, primarily for older people, which can be purchased or rented with security of tenure. They offer residents:
- personal care that is delivered flexibly, usually by staff based on the premises
- access to a wide range of additional domestic services
- communal facilities including lounges, restaurants, hairdressers, shops and gyms, which are managed to encourage an active social programme in the community
- a home for life
Retirement communities are also known as:
- retirement villages
- extra care housing
- housing with care
- assisted living
- close care apartments
- independent living
ARCO aims to promote high quality services and all registered schemes seek to adhere to the standards laid out in the ARCO Consumer Code.